Добавлено: Вт Ноя 11, 2014 18:14
I've started working on Unit.txt, the last and largest of the text files. (As Boon reminded me, with the exception of the dialog files, the other var files shouldn't be as much work, as they consist of a lot of variables.) This file is slow-going though, because it has quite a few alignment issues, meaning the number of sentences of the descriptions in Russian and English do not match. So even with the older units, it still takes me some time to line up the translations properly and make sure they are skipped automatically next time. That was yesterday and this morning. Now I still have about a hundred unit desctiptions to go through, but most of these are completely new units, so they will need to be translated from scratch. As this often does not involve direct interaction with the TM or termbase, it would be helpful if others could join in with this.
To that effect, I have added another tab to the spreadsheet, called Satshanti Unit.txt Descriptions, on which I will list only the units that completely lack a description. I have created columns with 1. Russian original, 2. English version Google translated, to leave as is, 3. duplicate of that to be edited and improved and 4. a column for a completely new and creative translation.
It would be helpful, Kettarienne and Boon, if you could help with this, as you have been doing this past week, and if others would like to join in, please send me a PM and I'll send you the link to the working sheet.
I think this might be the only part of the project for which contributions of native Russian speakers with some knowledge of English are needed and actually quite important. Or possibly even better in this case, native English speakers with some knowledge of Russian and/or the willingness to do some creative writing, based on the very limited Google translations. It's mainly about the flow of the sentences. If you don't know how a certain game term should be translated, just use anything, or use ????. I will still have to insert the translations manually into the software and the TM, so I will do a final check.
I'll continue to go through Unit.txt and will place all units without existing English description, i.e. the new units since version 13.0421, in the spreadsheet. I'll skip these for now, and will continue to process the already fully or partially translated units. I can then also start working on the var folder. If no others with enough time and skill can be found to assist with this, I'll edit the Google translations myself after I've done everything else. But to save me quite a bit of time, possibly a whole day or 2, it would be really good to get some help with this part. And of course we would then get much better quality English descriptions for these great new units, that have been envisioned and created by the modding community with such care and attention to detail. I'd like to honour all that work by making sure we use the best possible translations.
Thanks a lot!