на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
Эадор.Сотворение - Eador.The Genesis на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
Автор / Сообщение

Need help with translation

Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

Свитков: 667
С нами с: 24.09.2014
СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 13:20     Заголовок сообщения: Need help with translation

[ Last edited: 2015-07-11 17:45 ]

Hello my Russian-speaking friends! Smile

Satshanti has stepped down from the translation team, so I'll try to fill his shoes, with BK's help.
I thought now would be a good time to translate a few untranslated sentences.

From races.txt

Код:
Многих магов поражают как детали некоторых ритуалов школы Тени - а самые сильные из них нередко требуют жертв или крови разумных существ, так и чересчур спокойным отношением к этому обстоятельству самих альваров.

Most mages find Shadow Magic appalling - the strongest rituals often require either the blood or the sacrifice of intelligent creatures, yet this is completely acceptable to the Alvari.

Код:
Некоторые неосторожные адепты Тени лишаются рассудка, проводя слишком много времени в слиянии с ней.

Some reckless adepts have lost their mind, trying too hard to become one with the Shadows.

Код:
Другие, более осторожные их коллеги, становятся со временем холодны, расчётливы и жестоки.

Their more cautious peers have eventually become cold, thrifty, and ruthless.

Код:
А вера в то, что только такой путь спасителен для мира в целом полностью оправдывала любые злодеяния по отношению к магам других школ.

The unwavering conviction that only their ways can save the world justifies all crimes againt other schools of Magic.

Код:
Сокрушительные удары объединённых войск иных рас могли бы вовсе покончить с ними, но появившиеся в первые месяцы после восхода Светила альянсы, возглавляемые, как правило, правителями эльфов, очень быстро распались.

Код:
Во многом это связано с тем, что именно в те времена вдруг появились многочисленные слухи о близком родстве народов эльфов и альваров, что привело к всеобщему отчуждению и недоверию к эльфам.

Regards.

Последний раз редактировалось: Boon947 (Сб Июл 11, 2015 18:45), всего редактировалось 3 раз(а)
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
   Arkitekt

*Владыка Вселенной*
admin
Админ всея форума

Свитков: 5138
С нами с: 30.01.2013
СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 13:47     Заголовок сообщения:

Some of these sentences are grammatically incorrect. Smile And in my opinion this is a poor style.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 13:53     Заголовок сообщения:

From unit.txt

Код:
Тем не менее, будучи весьма неслабыми магами при жизни, они и после преобразования не утратили своих сил, представляя серьёзную опасность для многих любопытных, случайно или нет решивших потревожить покой мёртвого мага.

Код:
А долгая, практически вечная жизнь, к которой они так стремились, позволяет им спокойно, без спешки, совершенствоваться в магических дисциплинах, постигая могучие заклинания.

Код:
Лёгкие и смертоносные - вот как описывают танцующих-с-клинками те, кто видел их.

Код:
И хотя гоблинские ловушки не слишком опасны, сюрпризом они могут стать очень неприятным.

Код:
Свои... Зная всё о ядах, гоблины-чародеи травят ими врагов без всякой жалости.

Код:
Да и собственную свиту любой из них пустит в расход, совершенно не задумываясь.

Код:
Иногда, правда, на своих особо ценных слуг они всё же накладывают полезные заклинания.

Код:
Для подобной работы половинчики, не любящие воинское дело, но умеющие зарабатывать звонкую монету, нанимают охрану, обычно людей, знающих, с какого конца браться за меч.

Код:
Опытные и бывалые воины, стражи границ неусыпно охраняют подходы к посёлкам и деревушкам, скрываясь в непроходимых на первый взгляд дебрях.

Код:
Мастера одиночных схваток, эти следопыты способны нанести удар c, казалось бы, безопасного расстояния, и так же быстро отступить.

Regards.
   Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 14:05     Заголовок сообщения:

Arkitekt писал(а):
Some of these sentences are grammatically incorrect. Smile And in my opinion this is a poor style.

Errr... I am but a lowly translator Smile

Are you saying I should ignore some of these sentences?

(Remember, I can't read Russian.)
Perhaps the Russian community can rework the original text, and submit the changes to Jazz?

Regards.
   Arkitekt

*Владыка Вселенной*
admin
Админ всея форума

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 14:49     Заголовок сообщения:

I'm just saying they are extremely poor style and definitely incorrect.
As for me, I'd like to rewrite this on my own and not bother about origin. Smile

Just for fun I will try my best with close translation.

Код:
Многих магов поражают как детали некоторых ритуалов школы Тени - а самые сильные из них нередко требуют жертв или крови разумных существ, так и чересчур спокойным отношением к этому обстоятельству самих альваров.

Many among the mages are astonished with both details of some rituals of the school of The Shadow (most powerful ones often demand life or blood sacrifice of intelligent creature) and overly calm attitude to this circumstance of alvares themself.

A bit rewritten:

Many among the mages are astonished with both cruel details of some rituals of the school of The Shadow and easygoing attitude to intelligent creature sacrifices of alvares themself.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 16:35     Заголовок сообщения:

Arkitekt писал(а):
I'm just saying they are extremely poor style and definitely incorrect.
As for me, I'd like to rewrite this on my own and not bother about origin. Smile

Am I picking up traces of... dissatisfaction? Smile
What do you mean "rewrite this on my own"?
Do you mean privately and not shared with others?

Arkitekt писал(а):
Just for fun I will try my best with close translation.

Код:

Many among the mages are astonished with both details of some rituals of the school of The Shadow (most powerful ones often demand life or blood sacrifice of intelligent creature) and overly calm attitude to this circumstance of alvares themself.

A bit rewritten:

Many among the mages are astonished with both cruel details of some rituals of the school of The Shadow and easygoing attitude to intelligent creature sacrifices of alvares themself.

This is my attempt:

Most mages find Shadow Magic appalling - the strongest rituals often require either the blood or the sacrifice of intelligent creatures, yet this is completely acceptable to the Alvari.

I'm on a roll, I will try the next few Smile

Regards.
   Arkitekt

*Владыка Вселенной*
admin
Админ всея форума

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 17:11     Заголовок сообщения: wut

Boon947 писал(а):
This is my attempt:

This looks pretty nice.
Closer to the text these mages are just shocked with calmness of Alvari about some deviant and unorthodox aspects of Shadow Magic. Though there is nothing about evluation itself. It is just shocking.

Цитата:
What do you mean "rewrite this on my own"?

Maybe 'on my own fashion'. I love all this english idioms, but obviously have troubles with usage. It is said in post-soviet that English is just about straight communication, not poetry and stuff, but idioms like 'fall in love' seem to me very deep and worthy to share.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 19:05     Заголовок сообщения:

Can you give me the general idea in the last two sentences from races.txt
(My usual translators don't make a lot of sense.)
Doesn't have to be correct English, I just need to understand the underlying meaning.

Crushing blows united forces of other races could do away with them, but there was in the first months after sunrise luminaries led alliance, as a rule, the rulers of the elves quickly disintegrated.

This is largely due to the fact that it was in those days, suddenly there were numerous rumors of closely related peoples of elves and Alvaro leading to universal alienation and distrust of the elves.

Regards.
   Kettarienne

* Бессмертный *
New Horizons Team

Свитков: 1500
С нами с: 09.10.2012
СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Июл 11, 2015 21:38     Заголовок сообщения:

Heh, some of those are just plain erroneous, really. And aren't the best pieces of literature either.
Now those last ones:
Сокрушительные удары объединённых войск иных рас могли бы вовсе покончить с ними, но появившиеся в первые месяцы после восхода Светила альянсы, возглавляемые, как правило, правителями эльфов, очень быстро распались. Во многом это связано с тем, что именно в те времена вдруг появились многочисленные слухи о близком родстве народов эльфов и альваров, что привело к всеобщему отчуждению и недоверию к эльфам.
Combined forces of other races could have put an end to them altogether in a few decisive strikes, but the alliences forged in the first months after the sunrise by the elven rulers were quick to crumble. This was largely due to the sudden influx of compromising rumors of the close kinship of Elves and Alvari, that led other peoples to distrust and alienate the Elves.
Not a translation per se and wonky still, but whatever.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Июл 12, 2015 14:17     Заголовок сообщения:

Kettarienne писал(а):
Heh, some of those are just plain erroneous, really. And aren't the best pieces of literature either.
Now those last ones:
Сокрушительные удары объединённых войск иных рас могли бы вовсе покончить с ними, но появившиеся в первые месяцы после восхода Светила альянсы, возглавляемые, как правило, правителями эльфов, очень быстро распались. Во многом это связано с тем, что именно в те времена вдруг появились многочисленные слухи о близком родстве народов эльфов и альваров, что привело к всеобщему отчуждению и недоверию к эльфам.
Combined forces of other races could have put an end to them altogether in a few decisive strikes, but the alliences forged in the first months after the sunrise by the elven rulers were quick to crumble.

I'm not sure I understand... The other races COULD have destroyed the Alvari, but in the end they didn't need to, because the Alvari could not unite their own people? And so they did not represent a danger to the other races?

Kettarienne писал(а):
This was largely due to the sudden influx of compromising rumors of the close kinship of Elves and Alvari, that led other peoples to distrust and alienate the Elves.

The Elves are the "good" elves (light, forest, etc) and the Alvari are the "bad" elves (dark, underground, drow, etc) right??
That last sentence is saying that rumors of alliances between Elves and Alvari led other races to distrust even the good Elves?

Regards.
   Kettarienne

* Бессмертный *
New Horizons Team

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Июл 12, 2015 15:51     Заголовок сообщения:

Elves are elves. The forest ones. Whether alvari are of elvish descent is actually not of common knowlege among other peoples of Eador. Elves, IIRC, deny it altogether.
As for history (IIRC again), when the sun dawned anew, a large number of different people, led by elves (the forest ones), wished to take vengence on the alvari for the atocricies commited under the cover of darkness. Alliences were forged, armies were marched back and forth, and some battles were fought, but in the end alvari retreated underground and turned the war to a standstill. Then, when everyone was really fed up with fighting, there were accusations against elves (the forest ones) who were allegedly just another part of the same people and used the whole anty-alvari effort to gain political power. From there, things went down pretty fast, and alvari, now far out of sight of surfacers, were left to themselves.

† Паладин ()
Ветеран

Свитков: 431
С нами с: 11.09.2009
СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Июл 12, 2015 15:57     Заголовок сообщения:

Цитата:
I'm not sure I understand... The other races COULD have destroyed the Alvari, but in the end they didn't need to, because the Alvari could not unite their own people?

No. Other races could not unite togeher against Alvari for enought time to get rid of them because:
1)These Unions were usually led by Elven chiefs.
2)Other races can not trust Elves in the battle against Alvari because of sudden influx of rummors that Elves and Alvari are blood related.
3)So Unions self-resolved very quickly/

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Июл 12, 2015 20:05     Заголовок сообщения:

Kettarienne писал(а):
Elves are elves. The forest ones. Whether alvari are of elvish descent is actually not of common knowlege among other peoples of Eador. Elves, IIRC, deny it altogether.
As for history (IIRC again), when the sun dawned anew, a large number of different people, led by elves (the forest ones), wished to take vengence on the alvari for the atocricies commited under the cover of darkness. Alliences were forged, armies were marched back and forth, and some battles were fought, but in the end alvari retreated underground and turned the war to a standstill. Then, when everyone was really fed up with fighting, there were accusations against elves (the forest ones) who were allegedly just another part of the same people and used the whole anty-alvari effort to gain political power. From there, things went down pretty fast, and alvari, now far out of sight of surfacers, were left to themselves.

Did you pick up all that lore just from the game files, or did you read additional material, such as these books?
http://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/books/?lang=en

(A pity they're only available in Russian.)

Regards.
   Kettarienne

* Бессмертный *
New Horizons Team

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Июл 12, 2015 20:30     Заголовок сообщения:

Boon947 писал(а):
Did you pick up all that lore just from the game files, or did you read additional material, such as these books?
I wrote the core tenets myself, actually. These parts were developed by Alklor and Irbis later, while I was busy with other works, but I kind of kept an ear on the whole process of the idea unfolding into the actual lore. Lost the train of thought later with all the additions and reworks and harmful interference, but I hope I can still guess reasonably well. In any case, my whole previous post can be written using info in the cited description as a whole and some basic filling-the-gaps educated guessing. The only moot point is the relation between elves and alvari, and I don't remember the answer either. Perhaps there is non.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Июл 13, 2015 12:11     Заголовок сообщения:

I have finished the 6 Alvari sentences. Please take a look and suggest improvement where necessary Smile
(Side note: I don't like the fact that Alvari and Alkari are so close in spelling, I am considering renaming Alvari to Alvar, and Alkari to Alkaryl. Any objections?)

Код:

Most mages find Shadow Magic appalling - the most powerful rituals often require either the blood or the sacrifice of sentient creatures, yet this is completely acceptable to the Alvari.

Код:
Некоторые неосторожные адепты Тени лишаются рассудка, проводя слишком много времени в слиянии с ней.

Some reckless adepts have lost their mind, trying too hard to become one with the Shadows.

Код:
Другие, более осторожные их коллеги, становятся со временем холодны, расчётливы и жестоки.

Their more cautious peers have eventually become cold, thrifty, and ruthless.

Код:
А вера в то, что только такой путь спасителен для мира в целом полностью оправдывала любые злодеяния по отношению к магам других школ.

The unwavering conviction that only their ways can save the world justifies all crimes against other schools of Magic.

Код:
Сокрушительные удары объединённых войск иных рас могли бы вовсе покончить с ними, но появившиеся в первые месяцы после восхода Светила альянсы, возглавляемые, как правило, правителями эльфов, очень быстро распались.

The other races united, hoping to crush the Alvari, but this Elven-lead alliance crumbled after a few months.

Код:
Во многом это связано с тем, что именно в те времена вдруг появились многочисленные слухи о близком родстве народов эльфов и альваров, что привело к всеобщему отчуждению и недоверию к эльфам.

Rumors had started circulating that Elves and Alvari shared common ancestors, leading to widespread distrust of the Elves.

(Now moving on to unit.txt)

Regards.
   Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Июл 13, 2015 14:00     Заголовок сообщения:

Two more (Затронутый Смертью unit)

Код:
Тем не менее, будучи весьма неслабыми магами при жизни, они и после преобразования не утратили своих сил, представляя серьёзную опасность для многих любопытных, случайно или нет решивших потревожить покой мёртвого мага.

Nevertheless, the transformation did not diminish the power they held when they lived, thus it is very dangerous to disturb the peace of a dead wizard, whether intentionnally or accidentally.

Код:
А долгая, практически вечная жизнь, к которой они так стремились, позволяет им спокойно, без спешки, совершенствоваться в магических дисциплинах, постигая могучие заклинания.

And the long, practically eternal life, to which they so aspired, allows them to patiently hone their magic skills and learn powerful new spells.

One more for the road Smile

Код:
Лёгкие и смертоносные - вот как описывают танцующих-с-клинками те, кто видел их.

Light and deadly - that's how those who have seen them describe Blade Dancers.

Regards.
   Адназначна

† Паладин ()
Ветеран

Свитков: 431
С нами с: 11.09.2009
СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Июл 16, 2015 20:53     Заголовок сообщения:

Цитата:
I don't like the fact that Alvari and Alkari are so close in spelling, I am considering renaming Alvari to Alvar, and Alkari to Alkaryl. Any objections?

In Russian they'r not so close in spelling and pronunciation)
Цитата:
Most mages find Shadow Magic appalling - the most powerful rituals often require either the blood or the sacrifice of sentient creatures, yet this is completely acceptable to the Alvari.

Actually the meaning a bit differs. I'll try to write in simple sentences:
"Many mages are shocked by two things:
1) Details of the most powerful Shadow Magic rituals ('cause they often require either the blood or the sacrifice of sentient creatures) and
2) So calm attitude of Alvari to this fact."
Цитата:

Some reckless adepts have lost their mind, spending too much time in unity with the Shadows.
Цитата:
The other races united, hoping to crush the Alvari, but this Elven-lead alliance crumbled after a few months.

In fact there were several alliances, most of them were Elven-leaded, and all crumbled quickly

*Владыка Вселенной*
admin
Админ всея форума

СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Июл 16, 2015 20:58     Заголовок сообщения:

Адназначна писал(а):
I'll try to write in simple sentences:
"Many mages are shocked by two things:
1) Details of the most powerful Shadow Magic rituals ('cause they often require either the blood or the sacrifice of sentient creatures) and
2) So calm attitude of Alvari to this fact."

Well done.

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Июл 17, 2015 11:45     Заголовок сообщения:

After a few days translating, I can feel the quality of my work diminishing ;-(

А ещё такой гнолл всегда бьёт первым, иногда даже на слова не разменивается. И его удар вполне себе ощутим.

He always strikes first, wasting no time on diplomacy. And it is quite the blow.

Only one unit left... phew!
Часовой пояс: GMT +3:00

Ты не можешь начинать темы
Ты не можешь отвечать на сообщения
Ты не можешь редактировать свои сообщения
Ты не можешь удалять свои сообщения
Ты не можешь голосовать в опросах
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index Eador. The Genesis. Encyclopedia на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index